Interpreter Training Program
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Interpretation Education (CCIE). We offer a 4-year BS degree which trains students to become skilled at sign language interpreting so that upon graduation a student can begin working as an interpreter for the Deaf, a career that has many benefits and advantages. EKU is dedicated to training and educating students to their fullest, and the ITP at Eastern not only reflects this philosophy but also aims to become a nationwide leader in training qualified and professional interpreters.
The ITP is housed on EKU's Richmond campus. During the first two years students take general education classes and prerequisites which include ASL classes. Students then apply for the ITP - admission to EKU is not synonymous with admission to the ITP. Applications are accepted in the spring of even numbered years. Students selected into the program then attend full-time for two years of intensive interpreting course work. Transfer students meeting the prerequisites, including those who have a two-year degree in interpreting, are welcome to apply to our program.
*We are not an online program.
Requirements for Entering the EKU Interpreter Training Program
Graduating from our program will give you a four-year bachelor of science degree. Following is a list of required classes as well as pre-admission and admission criteria. The first step in entering our program is to apply to the University. Your first two years will be spent taking general education classes and beginning sign language classes. After two years, you will be eligible to submit an application of intent for admission into the Interpreter Training Program if you meet the requirements. Enrollment in this program is limited.
Admission to EKU is not synonymous with admission to the ITP. Each application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee and the student will be notified of the committee's decision.
• Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher by the end of the semester preceding application, and
• ASL 106 with a grade of “Satisfactory”, and
• ASL 201 and 202 with a grade of “B” or higher, and
• ITP 215W and 220 with a grade of “C” or higher, and
• Completed the Degrees of Reading Power Language Test, and
• Completed an admission interview by the ITP Interview Committee.
Progression and Retention in the Program
• A grade of “C” or higher is required for all ITP and lecture-based ASL courses (ASL 225, 325, 390, 425), and
• A grade of “B” or higher is required (with the exception of no more than one grade of “C”) for all skill-based ASL courses (ASL 301, 302, 305, 306, 310), and
• Maintain a 2.75 GPA in the major.
If you have any questions, please contact the department at (859) 622-4966 or email email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the EKU Interpreter Training Program.
|ITP Suggested Course Sequence 4.6.16.doc||245 KB|
|Course Descriptions 2016.doc||233.5 KB|