ASLIE in the Spotlight
Study American Sign Language in Burgos and Granada, Spain
ASL 380 — Historical Roots of the Deaf Community in Spain
Spring 2017 – 2nd 8 Weeks with a summer field study in Spain
This program requires two Saturday on campus classes before departure:
April TBD 4:30 — 8:00 p.m. (Saturday)
May TBD 4:30 — 8:00 p.m. (Saturday)
And mandatory attendance at Pre-departure orientation Date:
Saturday, April 8th, 1pm - 5pm
June 11 — July 1, 2017 (trip)
Includes two three day weekends with optional excursions.
Using the cities of Burgos and Granada as your classroom, you will study ASL in a very practical and experiential manner. This program will include activities and excursions specifically developed to help you expand your ASL foundation. Interact with the Deaf Spanish community, while learning about signed languages, history, education and culture. This is a unique and exceptional program, space is limited.
Open to ALL Kentucky college/university ASL students that have completed ASL 201 by May 2017
Program fee: $3,200
(Includes housing, 3 meals a day, on-site transportation, and program related activities)
Deadline to submit application and payment of non-refundable $500 deposit
Is Due: March 20th, 2017
Scholarships are available for the first ten (10) EKU degree seeking students (up to $2,050 each)
and will be considered for scholarships following full application and payment of non-refundable deposit.
There are no scholarships for non-EKU students.
*Includes rooms, ground transportation within Spain, planned educational excursions and some meals.
Cost DOES NOT include: round-trip flight, passport, or international insurance.
How Do I Apply?
- If you are interested in enrolling in this course, please go to the Education Abroad Office in Keith 129 to have your name put on the list.
- Applications will be sent out to all students on the list as soon as the program details and cost have been finalized.
- In the email, the date and time will be provided to let you know when applications will start being accepted.
- Students must submit the application along with the *receipt for their deposit, to the Education Abroad Office in Keith 129.
*Applications will not be considered complete without the deposit receipt.
- Complete Applications will be numbered in the order they are turned in to the Education Abroad Office.
- Students will be provided with the course CRN to register, when they turn in their application for the course.
For Study Abroad, Financial Aid & Registration Information:
Katie Samuel, Education Abroad Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org or 622-8794
Jennifer White, Education Abroad Administrator email@example.com or 622-1705
For Class Information:
Amy Milcznski, Interim Associate Chair firstname.lastname@example.org or 622-1818
Published on September 14, 2011